Monday, August 8, 2016

Week 4!

Hello to y'all back in Cache Valley and to my bros at college and serving worldwide! I hope things are going great for y'all and I keep all of you in my daily prayers. Thanks for all the emails, especially my family and Christy! I love getting them and any news y'all can send me about what's going on at home is great because I love hearing about it and sharing it with Elder Cordara and the ward members! 

The work here is going very well! We have a pretty good size investigator pool and the ward is throwing us people left and right to teach. It's amazing!

On a different note, I had a rough start to the week. We had a lesson on Tuesday and that was probably the worst lesson I have had on my whole mission. We brought a joint teacher, who is a convert so we thought it would be good for our investigator to meet him. However, it sucked. The lesson didn't go very well, and then our guest started Bible bashing with our investigator, and I was like "What the heck is going on?" It just sucked from top to bottom. The spirit wasn't there at all and our investigator didn't grow at all from the lesson.  Afterwards I just felt like a crappy teacher and I was kinda down in the dumps. 

Wednesday was great! We had new missionary training at the mission home in Bloomington and President Forbes and Sister Forbes gave us some great training on finding and teaching methods. I learned a lot! The best part was I got to see all the buddies from the MTC and hang out with them all day. Elder Peterson wasn't there because he is in Thunder Bay, but I wish he could've come down! I miss Elder Peterson.

Wednesday night we headed over to Weaver Lake for a "blitz" which means 4 Elders will work the area for one whole day. Their area is struggling right now so we did this to help them out and try and find new investigators for them. Thursday morning I got to work with Elder Judd. He is from Mesa, AZ and is going home in about 3 months. He is a really funny guy.  During companion study with him I basically just told him I was struggling with feeling like I kinda sucked at teaching. He gave me some great insights and told me to bear testimony more and let the spirit teach through me. He also said the key to being a great missionary is just loving everyone. He said if you do that you will have a successful mission. I really worked on that at the start of my mission, trying to have the pure love of Christ for everyone and I would pray for it every day. I realized I hadn't been praying for it as much that week and that was probably my problem. It was really good for me to talk to Elder Judd about stuff and get it figured out. That was my favorite part of the blitz! Pretty much all we did the whole day was knock doors because they have zero investigators right now. We didn't find anyone, but I got to work on my door approaches and actually had a pretty fun time!

That night we had dinner with the Fjeldsted family. Brother Fjeldsted is in the bishopric and he invited a friend from work over named Andrew. Andrew is a super nice guy. We taught him about missions and what they are (he had a ton of questions about them!) and we also taught about the Holy Ghost and how it can bless our lives. Andrew actually knew a lot about the Holy Ghost already, which was super cool! We had a really great discussion about it and shared some great scriptures with him. We are meeting with him again this Thursday!

On Friday we taught Ann again. She is having a lot of concerns with what will happen to her family if she gets baptized. She knows it is true and that's what she should be doing, but she doesn't want it to ruin any of her family relationships, which is understandable.  We taught how God loves us and gave us the atonement to overcome trials, which was perfect for her. Sister Fjeldsted came with us because she and Ann are good friends, and she said a lot of helpful things as well. After we left, Sister Fjeldsted told me that she took a trip with the YW group to the temple or something and she said some of the Beehives and Mia Maids were like, "Elder Beach is so cute!" and I thought, "Oh no!" When we got in the car Elder Cordara was like, "Elder Beach! Getting it done!" And I was like, "Shut up, bud" It was pretty funny!

On Saturday, Brother Ableman who is our ward mission leader, took us and Weaver Lake to the temple! It was the best session I've been to. I really felt the spirit and it was great. I sat in the Celestial room for a while and prayed and it was a great experience for me. I received lots of comfort and peace afterwards he took us to Wendy's so that was good!  Oh, my pants at the temple were so small!! Haha! I was surprised I didn't split the butt open or something. It was bad.

On Sunday, Ann came to church again! It was fast Sunday and I actually fasted and survived! It was a really good experience for me and I actually enjoyed it. We had a ton of less actives plus investigators come just randomly which was super cool! It was a good Sunday!

Last Monday we went to Pizza Ranch! It is hands down the best pizza buffet I have been to. They have some killer pizza flavors. The best one I got was steak pizza. It has steak and onions with cheese and this really good seasoning stuff on it

It's been a good week, and I've really grown in my testimony of the Atonement and of sincere prayer. I know God loves us and wants us to succeed. In "Batman Begins", Bruce Wayne's father has a great line: "Why do we fall Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves back up." I kinda started learning how to pick myself up with the help of the Savior this week. It's been a truly great week. Things are clicking on all cylinders now for Elder Cordara and me! In Ether 12:27 it says ..."I give unto men weakness that they may be humble;....for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them." I love that and I have read that a lot this week. 

I love all y'all back home! I miss each of you but I know I am supposed to be here doing this work at this time. Please send me updates from football and any other noteworthy news from home! I love getting it. Thanks for all your prayers and support and I would greatly appreciate it if y'all continued to pray for our investigators as well! Thanks and God bless!

Much love, 
Elder Beach
#10 #MavUp

PS... Photos from top to bottom: MTC buddies at missionary training
Golf crew last P-Day #Wregulators
Temple trip with Weaver Lake Missionaries
Brother Jones, myself and Elder Cordara at the Durant's daughter's wedding reception!
This really good dinner Brother Jones bought us. That cost $6.99
Selfie with Elder Lowell on the left and Elder Roberts who is "asleep"









No comments:

Post a Comment